Thursday, July 20, 2006

Passport Party - Block Party #12













Happy 1st Anniversary!!!


Stephanie over at Dispensing Happiness is hosting the Block Party #12. This month's theme is a Passport Party and Stephanie tells us "we're traveling to our favorite places by way of the kitchen, with bites and drinks from our favorite countries."

I have several favorite places I've traveled to. But there is no other place does my heart beat faster for than the country of ESPAÑA. The homeland of my ancestors. (Look here.)

The last time I used my passport was when I traveled through France and Spain. Although I did extensive food and cultural research in Paris, Provence and the Camargue region of France, it was on the Iberian Peninsula that I was enchanted by the gastronomy of Spain.

So, my friends and fellow food bloggers, I bring to our celebration banquet a selection of “Tapas” and for added refreshment, to quench the summer heat, a satisfying and satiating “Sangria”.


SALUD!


Tapas Platter

Boquerones on Pan Tostado
Carrot, Melon and Radish Coolers
Cured Olives
Stinging Nettle Cheese
Sliced Fruit


Spanish Sangria

Ingredients:

• 1 Bottle of red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Rioja, Zinfandel, Shiraz)
• 1 Lemon cut into wedges
• 1 Orange cut into wedges
• 1 Lime cut into wedges
• 2 Tbsp sugar
• Splash of orange juice
• 2 Shots of gin, rum or brandy or 1 Shot of each type of liquor
• 1 Cup of sliced strawberries or raspberries
• 1 Small can of diced pineapples (with juice)
• 4 Cups ginger ale

Method:

Pour wine in the pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon, orange and lime into the wine. Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and add sugar, orange juice and gin. Chill overnight.

Add ginger ale and ice just before serving. If you'd like to serve right away, use chilled red wine and serve over lots of ice. However, remember that the best Sangrias are chilled around 24 hours in the refrigerator - allowing the flavors to really marinate into each other.

Adapted from:
Stacy Slinkard
Your Guide to Wine
wine.about.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home