Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a Rosemary-Garlic Pork Roast today . . .

"Autumn Display . . ."

Today is wet and cold. The rain is only here for the day. Autumn has made her mark.

Le Maison is finally getting back to a regular routine for meals. We're also back to delicious solid foods. We're pacing ourselves, however.

Ander is busy painting away in the studio creating inventory for upcoming shows and sales. He is in a "poppy" mode as well as Colorado scenes. I'm excited to see his new collection. Here's a sample of the gift given to his Cousin Kersti during her recent holiday visit.

"Poppyfield, Oil on Canvas, 20x24" . . .©ander. All rights reserved.


While I was recuperating from "the Bug", Ander was kind enough to make my meals, at the ready, when the hunger pang would strike. Unfortunately, after a couple of spoonfuls and a bite, I'd be full or lose my appetite. I felt bad pushing my bowl or plate away after my darling hubby had put in a considerate effort. In between my waking moments and my Sudafed induced sleep, I made mention of making him one of his favorite meals. I also promised him to open one of our prized Cabernets, 2002 Silver Oak, Alexander Valley.

Last night was the night. Tuesday night dinner, usually prepared on a Sunday night was a Rosemary-Garlic Pork Roast accompanied with braised red cabbage with apples and slow roasted potatoes. Simple, conserved comfort and sublime satisfaction. Since we had the Silver Oak Cabernet, we skipped dessert. What? Yeah, it would have been over-the-top for a Tuesday night. Instead, a nibble of a dark chocolate truffle would suffice. As most of us know, dark chocolate and Cabernet make a fine duet.

"Pork Roast, Braised Red Cabbage, Creamer Potatoes . . ."

I garnered the pork roast recipe many years ago and as in many of the recipes I've collected, has gone through several tweaks and twitches. I won't leave a recipe here as it is common and can be found anywhere. If you really want it, leave me a comment or send me an email and I'd be happy to oblige.

The original recipe calls for a pork tenderloin, marinated in a rosemary-garlic-olive oil mixture overnight. It is then slow roasted in the oven. I also like to use pork shoulder or pork butt roast, smeared with the mixture for a quick fix, if overnight marinating is not convenient. The rosemary bush we have was the first plant we placed in the garden. It was a cutting from our dear friends, K & J. We've propogated the plant and now several scions are strategically flourishing on the grounds. Through the years, we've shared several cuttings with other friends. It is the herb for "remembrance". When I pass a rosemary plant, I instinctively reach over and run my hands across a branch to release the fragrance of summer, friendships and naturally, a familiar, aromatic comfort.

The Lovely, CookieCrumb of "I'm Mad and I Eat", has a "Share Package" project that consists of sharing some extra's you have on hand from the garden or the pantry, ie herbs, spices, etc. CC suggests us to consider sharing as an "act of kindness". Ander's motto, "Sharing is caring." As the garden transitions to the Autumn season, there are remnants of herbs that linger for that one last pinch. I dry as much as I can or preserve them for the winter freeze. I'm happy to share the bounty. I'm not sure how this works, but it seems simple enough. I'll take the cue from CC. Send me an email and we can arrange to send a "Share Package" to you.

Thanks, CookieCrumb for proposing this great idea. Count me in as a participant!

Life is a banquet, my friends.


Technorati Tag:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love that roast, Anni!

7:12 PM, October 04, 2006  
Blogger Jann said...

The painting is gorgeous........and I could smell that roast cooking. Need to know more about this Share Package project.....great blog! Happy Cooking

5:37 PM, October 08, 2006  
Blogger anni said...

Ciao, Ivonne,

I am my father's daughter, a carnivore to any fine roast.

I'm working on a standing prime rib roast. My B-I-L makes the best I've had, so far. He makes the most wonderful cabernet-port sauce that is incredible! It accompanies the Thanksgiving Turkey each year. Yummmmm.....

Tootles,
Anni :-)

10:27 AM, October 18, 2006  
Blogger anni said...

Jann,

Once again, I'm transported to the fabulous venues you share with us.

Check out CookieCrumb's post about the Share Package at "www.madeater.blogspot.com".

What do you have to share?

Tootles,
Anni :-)

10:31 AM, October 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home