Wednesday, November 22, 2006

All Ye, All Ye, In come free . . .MASARAP! KAINA TAYO

Foodblogger Welcome Dinner

I have been remiss of late in posting to this blog. My intention in creating this blog was to post about the banquet of life. I thought I would include well-loved recipes, occasional restaurant reviews, new culinary finds and perhaps even appeal to other foodies and aficionados to participate in my escapades.

As the path of life would have it, there have been several detours that have crossed my way, requiring my undivided attention and focus. No worries. I have much on my plate which I need to organize, prioritize, systemize and finally, arrange my life such that I can continue to taste the passion and inspiration this blog provides through other bloggers and visitors that stop by and comment from time to time. My hope is that this blog will become a comfortable spot for most of you to come back and visit often.

There was a recent entry in Food Blog S’Cool regarding chain emails. There were several comments that triggered my thoughts on the subject. As a rule, I don’t participate in chain letters of any kind. As mentioned by most trusted bloggers, I select “Delete”. However, this doesn’t mean I won’t indulge in “Memes” of interest to me. My inauguration to blogging was through an article in eGullet Society for Culinary Arts and Letters. I was intrigued and was pulled in. I noticed several memes going around and I instantly became envious of those that were “Tagged”. I wanted to be “Tagged” and be part of the fun and amusement. I would eagerly read my favorite blogs and add some wittiness to my comments in hope that I would make an impression. I would yearn to see my name included in a “Tag”. I would check out several food events, take part, share a recipe or two and enjoy the experience of the “round-up”. I was always thrilled when I would receive an email by the host of the event extending a personal invitation for my participation. This made me feel included. I like developing relationships, albeit via cyberspace, and cultivating new ideas in the world of all that is food, beverage, arts and hospitality.

Life is a banquet, my friends. I have revealed a couple of things I had not intended to share, but what the heck…we can talk. Right?

Eons ago, I was tagged by the lovely CookieCrumb to participate in a meme for The Foodblogger’s Welcome Dinner” created by the pleasant Angelika of The Flying Apple.

I am to create a menu that would include ”signature dishes” to serve fellow foodbloggers during the welcome dinner. Having an extensive repertoire, I don’t really claim “signature dishes” as much as “favorite dishes” to prepare for guests. My discipline is French and Mediterranean cuisines. My fancy is whatever new ingredients, herbs and spices I discover. My heritage is Filipino. I grew up with many cuisines on our table. Although my Mom did not grow up knowing how to cook, it was my Father and his extensive world travels that allowed us the grand exposure to global cuisines. So what better way to get to know me than sharing the foods very close and dear to my heart. In honor of my beloved parents, I would present and serve my fellow foodbloggers the foods of their native land, The Republic of Philippines.

"Buffet Table . . ."


Mabuhay Makan Menu

Main Dishes
Pancit Bihon
Pancit Miki
Crisp Lumpia with S/S Sauce
Chicken Relleno
Afritata
Grilled Tilapia or Milk Fish
Dad’s Popular Pork Ribs
Pork Lechon with Ander’s Secret Sauce

Side Dishes
Baby Lettuce Salad with Calamansi Vinaigrette
Sautéed Greens (Camote, Kang Kong, or Calunai)
Green Papaya Atchara
Potato-Chive Tortilla
Eggplant Relleno
Fresh Sliced Tomatoes
Extra-Large Pot of Steamed Rice

Desserts
Leche Flan
Coconut Bibinka
Mom’s Famous Carioca
Simple Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
My Little Darlings M&M Ring Cake

Beverages
Anni’s Swamp Water
Prickly Pear Lemonade
Bellini
Sangria
Tropical Iced Tea
Wine from Private Collection

Pancit Bihon . . .Mom makes this for everyone's birthday. Noodles are a symbol for a long life."

"Anni's Swamp Water . . ."

As in our family’s tendency, there is a lot of food. A friend once told me his Italian Grandmother used to always say “If there’s too much food, it’s not enough.”

Life is a banquet, my friends.

I apologize for neglecting this fantastic forum that allows me to be touched by amazing, wonderful and kind folks that subsist within the Blogosphere. Life happens. Before the end of the year, I hope to complete the list of “memes and tags” I’ve had the privilege of receiving.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Anni, to you and Ander.
Fabulous menu! I'll have to prowl through your archives to see if you've posted these recipes.

12:03 PM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger anni said...

CC -
No need to prowl... I'll be happy to share the recipes with a fellow foodblogger.

Tootles,
Anni :-)

4:44 PM, November 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anni, thank you so much for joining us and in the fun. Of course you are not late at all, well, it's me who still has to catch up with some entries I have not included to my list so far, and I hope there will still be some more !

First of all, your menu - or rather buffet table - sounds terrific. I would like to taste all of it ! I so much like to remember our travels to Asia and those wonderful buffets...

Second, I love the title of your blog. I could not agree more with it.

Third, as I understand you seem to go thru a not so easy phase of your life. It's the same with me - so there are at least two of us, but I know that "behind" many blog names there are fates and humans who have to face special situations. I know that blogging is very time consuming, but if you manage to dedicate some time to it I can tell you from my point of view that it means so much destraction, feedback and sharing !

Wishing you all the best from Vienna,angelika

3:43 AM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger anni said...

Angelika,

Thank you for your kind words. I will do my best to be more dedicated and continue to cultivate and nurture the wonderful friendships I am gifted through my blogging.

I've enjoyed your blog and the superb photography! I dream to have a meal in "la cantina" like yours. Lovely!

Life happens. I'm learning to take bites that I can chew.

My warmest and kindest regards to you from California Wine Country.

Tootles,
Anni :-)

7:28 AM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger Kim said...

Anni,
Thanks so much for sharing. I think you revealed what a lot of us bloggers secretly feel ... the desire to belong to - to "be in" with - this terrific food community. Be well and enjoy your holidays.
Kim

8:02 AM, December 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home